Summer is here! It is sun protection time.
Now that the sun is out, it's time to get sun-safe! This article will talk about sun protection and things you should have in your summer safety kit to help you stay safe and protected this summer season.
Table of Contents
- Why is summer safety important?
- What are the summer safety items that you should have with you?
- What do I need to avoid while protecting myself from the sun?
- How much sun should I get?
- What else should I know about sun safety?
- When should I put sun protection on my kids?
- What are some sun safety tips for kids?
- What other tips should I know about summer safety?
Why is summer safety important?
Everyone should be sun-safe because sunburns can lead to skin cancer (especially melanoma). It’s especially important if you're somebody who hassensitive skin.
People should stay in the shade as much as possible between 10 am and 4 pm since this is when sun exposure can be most harmful. If you do go out during peak hours make sure to cover up with sun protective clothing like sun hats and sunglasses.
It's also very helpful if you wear sun-protective clothing to protect your skin from harsh sun rays. Doing so helps lower your risk of sun damage.
Another issue that people should be cautious about is getting sunburn on days when it's not as hot out. UV rays can still harm your skin even if you're just sitting in a park on a cloudy day.
Looking for sun protection products? Make sure to get sun protective clothing, sun hats, and sun shirts. Also, try wearing sunglasses with 100% UV protection!
What are the summer safety items that you should have with you?
One of the most important sun safety tips is to properly apply sunscreen! A lot of people think that if they buy sun-protective clothing or put on sunscreens with high SPFs, they will be fully protected from harmful UV rays. However, this isn't necessarily true.
Currently, sunscreens are only required to contain an "SPF" (sun protection factor) number above 15 in order to be sold in the US. Some sunscreen companies have started testing sunscreens in countries where sunscreens must carry an SPF number higher than 15.
Make sure to use at least 30 SPF sun protection and apply it for about 20 minutes before going outside (to let the sunscreen/lotion sink into your skin). Reapply every two hours! And make sure to wear sunscreen year-round not just during the summer months.
A wide-brimmed hat is a great way to keep the sun away from your face, head, and neck which also helps with sunburns. Most sun hats now come with removable sun protection but even without it, wearing a sun hat alone can reduce your chance of getting sunburned up to 50%.
There are many styles such as bucket hats for men or women or straw (Panama) hats that offer easy sun protection. In fact, you can check out thisbuyer’s guide when choosing the best sun hat that suits you and your lifestyle.
If you’re on the lookout for the perfect summer sun hat, we’ve just got the collection for you! Choose among GearTOP’s finest no matter what your style is.
Pick from wide brim with UPF protection options like theNavigator with UPF 50+ sun protection,Wanderer Series Hat,Discoverer Air, or theFloater Series that delivers great coverage for your face and neck!
You can even opt for more casual yet chic options like theJasmine Series Sun Visor. They’re both perfect for the beach or a stroll at the park.
Better yet, visit the GearTOP shop to see what these beauties look like. Pick and choose the best sun hat for you!
Sunglasses with at least 99% UV sun protection will keep the sun out of your eyes which helps prevent cataracts, macular degeneration, or other eye conditions caused by the sun's rays.
There are many styles of sunglasses on the market today including aviators, wrap-around clips (for sports), and even magnetic-on sunglasses.
Sun Protective Clothing
Sun protective clothing is another good option for sun safety instead of an actual summer hat although these types of clothes may be more expensive. Learn why sun protective clothing is necessary here.
A Bottle of Water
Water is great for hydration and can prevent heat stroke which occurs when the body gets too hot and cannot cool itself down. Make sure to drink one bottle of water per hour while doing outdoor activities!
What do I need to avoid while protecting myself from the sun?
- Do not stay out in direct sunlight too long because this will cause sunburned skin which also makes you more sun-sensitive. This can result in sun poisoning.
- Do not tan because this causes your skin to age prematurely and increases sun sensitivity.
- Avoid going out between 10 am and 3 pm as the sun's rays are the strongest at these hours of the day.
- If you do go outside, wear a sun hat, sunglasses, sun-protective clothing, & sunscreen.
How much sun should I get?
Getting sun exposure is essential for good health but too much sun without sun protection can cause sunburns & sun poisoning so limit your time outside especially during the hours of 10 am - 3 pm because that's when the sun's rays are strongest!
What else should I know about sun safety?
Protecting yourself from the sun is very important for good health so it is necessary to take some precautions such as:
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water so that you stay well-hydrated during summer activities such as playing sports or just being out and about outside.
- Refrain from sun tanning as this is unhealthy for your skin and can increase sun sensitivity later on in life. Using an electronic sun tanning bed is especially harmful to the skin, eyes, & other parts of the body so it should be avoided at all costs.
When should I put sun protection on my kids?
Just like adults, kids need as much sun protection when going outdoors. Wearing a combination of sunscreen, sun hats, and sun-protective clothing will help them stay protected especially when they’re out during the peak sunny hours.
What are some sun safety tips for kids?
- Be sure to put sunscreen lotion on your children every day before they go outside because sunscreen lotion provides sun protection for kids & adults alike.
- Apply sunscreen with sunscreen lotion or a similar product to all exposed skin generously and frequently. Don't forget the backs of your hands, neck, ears, feet, shoulders, & face since these are areas that people often forget about when applying sunscreen or other sun-blocking products.
- Always stay in the shade when possible because being out in direct sunlight too long can sunburn you or increase sun sensitivity which means sun poisoning is more likely.
- Apply sunscreen lotion with sunscreen on exposed areas & sun-protective clothing every day before going outside! Sun protective clothing, sun hats, and sunglasses are important sun safety items that everyone should always have for summertime sun protection no matter what age!
Kids need as much sun protection as you. And they deserve the best of what’s available in the market. If you’re on the lookout for the best sun hat for kids, you need to check out GearTOP kid’s sun hat collection!
Choose from cute but protective sun hats that feature a wide brim and UPF 50+ features that keep the lil’ ones protected as they explore their world.
Buy GearTOP Sun Hats for Summer Safety
- Wanderer Series.Protect your skin as you go off into your adventures when you wear GearTop’s Wanderer Series Hat! This breathable wide-brimmed hat effectively shades your face from harmful UV rays while keeping you cool and fresh.
- Floater Series.Featuring a wide brim GearTop’s Floater Series Hat, have the ultimate outdoor sun protection while staying comfortable and cool. Adjustable and waterproof, you’ll want for nothing when you sport this bucket hat.
- Navigator Series.Get the highest level of sun protection as you spend time outdoors when you wear the Navigator Series Fishing Hat with UPF 50+ Sun Protection! Breathable and lightweight, this versatile sun hat is perfect for hiking, gardening, spending time at the beach, or any other outdoor activity! What’s more, this sun hat has also been redesigned for your little ones - theNavigator Kids.
- Discoverer Series.Stay fully protected as you step into every adventure with the Discoverer Series’ 360-degree protection, With removable flaps, protect not just your face but also your neck and ears from harmful UV rays. TheDiscoverer Kids has your lil’ ones’ sun protection needs covered.
- Discoverer Air.Not a fan of flaps? The Discoverer Air brings just as much protection from harmful UV rays for your face, neck, ad ears. Featuring a wide brim, breathable mesh panels, ad adjustable drawcord, stay protected and comfortable for any sunny escapade.
- Explorer Series.Steer clear of annoying bugs and stay protected from the elements when you wear GearTop’s Explorer Series sun hat! Featuring a removable mosquito net, get full protection from the sun, wind, dust, and insects as you spend time outdoors!
- Jasmine Series. Looking for a sun visor hat that delivers style, comfort, and protection? The Jasmine sun visor ticks all of these boxes – and MORE! With a ponytail hole, this chic headwear allows you to wear your hair any way you want. Whether you’re feeling a messy bun or want to let your hair down, it will look cute either way!
Thanks for reading our article about summer safety tips and all the must-haves for sun protection throughout the summer months! Stay safe, stay covered & a happy summertime!