If you love spending time outdoors, you need to be aware of the dangers of photoaging. Photoaging is a form of skin damage that results from exposure to the sun's UV rays.
Luckily, there are things that you can do to avoid photoaging and keep your skin healthy and youthful. Keep reading for tips on how to protect your skin from the sun's harmful UV rays.
Table of Contents
- What is photoaging?
- What are the signs of photoaging?
- What are the causes of photoaging?
- How can you avoid photoaging?
- Buy wide-brimmed GearTOP sun hats to protect you from photoaging
What is photoaging?
Photoaging occurs when UV light damages the skin. Some of the most common signs of photoaging include:
- Drooping skin
- Dark spots or pigmentation
- Rough skin texture
What are the causes of photoaging?
- UVA light.UVA light is solar radiation that damages all levels of the skin - from the skin’s epidermis to the dermis. This type of light damages several layers of skin. These include collagen and elastin fibers. It can also affect epidermal cells and capillaries.
- UVB light. UVB light damages the DNA in the epidermis. It can cause photoaging and can cause the formation of precancerous cells.
- UVC light. Absorbed by the ozone layer, this solar radiation does not reach us and does not cause any damage.
How can you avoid photoaging?
Here are the things that you can do to avoid photoaging:
- Wear a wide-brim sun hat. Opt for a sun hat with a least a 3-inch wide brim. It's also ideal to have a hat that's made from a tightly woven fabric. These features will give you more coverage including your face, ears, neck, and even your upper back. The tight weave will also do a better job of blocking UV rays from penetrating the fabric. Here's a buyer's guide to help you pick the best sun hat for you.
- Apply a broad-spectrum UPF 30 sunscreen every two hours.The effects of sunscreen fade after two hours. So, we highly recommend that you reapply consistently, even when it's cloudy. It’s also ideal that you wait 20 minutes after applying before going outdoors. Plus, opting for a broad-spectrum sunscreen means that you'll be protected from both UVA and UVB rays. And, the higher the UPF rating, the better.
- Wear sun-protective clothing. For sun protective clothing, you can pick dark or bright-colored shirts as they are more effective in absorbing UV rays. We also recommend that you choose loose-fitting clothing as tight clothing may get stretched, allowing more UV rays to reach your skin.
- Stay under the shade when outdoors. When outside, make sure that you stay under the shade to minimize your sun exposure.
- Avoid sun exposure when the sun is at its most intense.The sun is at its most intense between 10 am to 2 pm. So, we highly recommend that you avoid going out during these hours.
Buy wide-brimmed GearTOP sun hats to protect you from photoaging
Make sure that you’re protected from photoaging when spending time outdoors by wearing GearTOP’s wide-brim sun hats!
Choose from sun hat models that deliver 360-degree protection with theDiscoverer Series’s removable flaps, or the brand’s well-lovedNavigator Series. These models are just some of the numerous high-performing sun hats that you can choose from the GearTOP collection.
Now that you know all about photoaging and the damage it can do to your skin, it's time to take action. Check outour blog for tips on how to protect your skin from the sun's harmful UV rays. And don't forget to stock up on sunscreen.
Thanks for reading!