Family-friendly can be anything from a relaxing spa resort to a luxury hotel with a suite and a kitchenette. For many families, staying at an all-inclusive resort with kids is ideal because it means that they have one less thing to worry about while on vacation!
So, what makes a family-friendly vacation, and how do you plan for one?
Table of Contents
- What’s the best family vacation planning tip?
- What activities does your family enjoy?
- What are some family travel destinations to consider?
- How can you keep everyone happy?
- What to bring with you on a family vacation?
- What should be on your family vacation checklist?
- What are the best apps to use for travel?
- Should I get travel insurance?
Family vacation planning tips
As the holidays approach, so does the cold weather.
For some families, this is a perfect time to head out and go on a family-friendly vacation. Family vacations can be daunting when it comes to planning because you want to make sure that everyone in your group (humans and pets) is happy and satisfied with their experience.
To help you plan for your upcoming getaway, here's what to consider when planning a family-oriented vacation; some ideas of places to consider visiting; and how to keep everyone in your family or group happy while traveling.
Here are some questions to ask as you plan for your trip:
1. What activities does your family enjoy?
Before booking anything, take about an hour–or even better, a weekend–to sit down and jot down a variety of activities for family fun. Some questions you may want to ask yourself include:
- Do we enjoy hiking? Or, would they like a bike ride more?
- Would my children enjoy traveling through a historic city?
- Would my spouse love an outdoor adventure?
This doesn't have to be an intense exercise–in fact, majoring in minutiae can miss the larger picture–but jotting down some of your family members' favorite activities might help you get more specific once you start researching destinations.
2. Family travel destinations
If you're considering staying in the US then perhaps some of these ideas will give you some inspiration:
Consider heading to Florida for a break--it's warm, on the water, and has plenty of outdoor activities for children. Plus, Disney World is only about three hours away!
Family-friendly activities abound in Florida: Disney World is just one of many options (and yes, it's always open). If your family enjoys theme parks, you can consider Universal Studios or Busch Gardens while staying within driving distance.
However, it’s important to remember that when spending time under the sun, you should always wear sun protection. Whether it’s sunscreen, sun hat, and a combination of both, you should always have it handy!
For sun hats for the whole family, you can visit theGearTOP shop for high-performing sun hats that has a wide brim and feature the highest level of sun protection from fabric - UPF 50+
- If you prefer skiing or snowboarding, try heading to the Poconos, Vermont, or even the Catskills. Family resorts abound in these parts, and there's no better time to go than the holidays!
Staying protected for cold weather adventures is just as important! For affordable gear that doesn’t compromise quality, GearTOP’s got you covered during the cold weather!
3. How can you keep everyone happy?
Now keep in mind that everyone has different interests. Your idea of the perfect family vacation might be different from your husband’s or your parents.
Consider these ideas as you plan:
- Family-friendly dinners (buffets, casual)
- Family activities (especially those not involving screens or electronics!)
- Family board games and other fun diversions
4. What to bring with you on a family vacation?
Some essentials to consider packing include:
Sunscreen, hats and sunglasses, comfortable traveling clothes/shoes/accessories, water bottles to refill, snacks for everyone including pets! If there are items that you use frequently so consider packing them (and double-check that they were not left in the last hotel room you stayed in).
Depending on where you’re headed, whether it’s a sunny outdoor location to get away from the cold, or an icy wonderland to enjoy it, you should have the right gear with you to ensure that you’re fully protected from the elements.
5. What should be on your family vacation checklist?
Even if you're just going away for a weekend or even for an entire week, it's always smart to have an itinerary in mind. Your family vacation checklist should include:
- Family passports, visas, and other travel information
- Family cell phones/chargers with international adapters or SIM cards if needed! It will be more convenient to be able to text each other about restaurant recommendations without paying expensive fees.
- Family boarding passes luggage tags, cash/credit cards/ATM cards/travel checks
Make Use of Family Travel Insurance and Family Travel Apps
To make planning and logistics easy, you can turn to technology. With a swipe of your smartphone, you can look up awesome restaurant recommendations in an instant, get a ride, and book a hotel at the last minute!
A few apps we love include:
- Trip It. This app makes it easy to keep all your travel plans organized in one place, so you don't have to worry about forgetting anything once you get on the road or lose that scrap of paper that had your flight info on it!
Uber & Lyft. These apps make it easy to get around your destination without having to rely on public transportation, plus they're often more affordable than a traditional taxi service!
Hotel Tonight. This app allows you to book last-minute hotel rooms for up to 50% off the standard rate. It is perfect if your family trip plans change or you just want a vacation getaway at the spur of the moment!
Should I get family travel insurance?
Family travel insurance is something we highly recommend thinking about before booking any vacations with your kids. You never know when an accident might happen! So, it's worth protecting yourself and your family in advance!
Whether you are planning a vacation to escape the daily grind or stay local, your family must have an enjoyable time.
But, no matter how much fun you and your family are having, outdoor protection should never be put on the backburner. No matter where you’re spending your vacation you should always have the right gear. This is where GearTOP can help you out!
Have your pick between affordable yet high-quality outdoor gear for any season! Whether you are off to an icy wonderland with the whole clan or to a sunny paradise, have top-notch protection from the elements.
With products ranging fromversatile balaclavas, sweat-wicking beanies,gloves for cold wear, as well as wide brim sun hats and visors for more summery destinations, you can trust GearTOP to deliver reliable protection no matter where you're heading.
Visit theGearTOP Amazon shop today to get the best deals for high-quality outdoor gear!